As final finish on a wall, paint determines the beauty and mood of the room. Factors to consider when planning painting work.
1. The type of paint.
We have different kinds of paint in the market, we have water based paints, and oil based paints. Paints for external use, internal use, special paint for wood, paints for metal, roof paint, floor paints. Clean and dry surface before painting is a must for all the above paints.
Grading of Decorative Paints.
There are three grades or quality of paint in the market.
• 1st Quality marked as Premium Grade
• 2nd Quality marked as Trade Grade.
• 3rd Quality marked as Economy Grade.
So be alert and check out the grade of paint to be used in your house.
Common types of paint for buildings.
–Gloss paint: They give a very glossy finish and can be wiped easily with water. Gloss paint can be applied as a final coat on wooden surface like fascia boards,doors,skirting,as it prevent water from penetrating it, thus preserving the wood. Also gloss can be used in cooking areas, public places like institutions, health facilities.
-Egg shell paint. This is a semi-gloss paint with a lot of sheen.
–Vinyl silk Matt-Water based paint has a low sheen and can be wiped easily. Modern homes use vinyl silk Matt, because of its low sheen, it doesn’t have a strong smell, also dries very fast.
They are also made for external use on the wall of a house.
Some of special vinyl paints includes
Teflon Surface Protector from Crown Paint Ltd is a new improved top quality for both interior and exterior.
Crown Medicrly Anti –Bacterial paint. This is a silk emulsion paint launched in May 2013,by Crown Paint Ltd.Its an innovating coating solutions with unique anti-Bacterial properties targeting health institutions and other work and living spaces requiring high standard of hygiene.Its odorless and fast drying, making it suitable for rapid deployment in a busy environment like hospitals, schools restaurants etc.
-Matt emulsion: Is water based, doesn’t shine and is not washable. It has no sheen and can be used internally and externally. It’s mostly applied on ceiling since it doesn’t shine.
2. What is the quantity required?
It’s important to get the service of a qualified person to give you the quantity of paint required for your house. It’s at this stage that the color of every room is decided. Below are some common materials needed for a paint job
-Paint brush or Roller
-Water, white spirit or thinner (depends on whether you are using oil or water-based paint)
-Old bed sheet or polythene sheet, for covering floor.
-Sand paper, (we have smooth and rough sandpaper get the right texture)
3. Buying Materials for painting.
The quality of materials you buy also determines the quality of final paint finish.Dont go for cheap and unknown brands. We have various good quality paint from recognized distributors. Some paint hardware’s have computerized paint mixing machines. So you can get any color you want. Buy a quality brush, wrong choice of brush can deny you a fine finish.
4. Preparation for painting.
Whether a new or old house is being painted, the procedure is almost always the same. The difference being that the occupied house the furniture and other items must be moved around and covered to avoid paint spilling on them.
• Make sure you have all the materials and tools with you, including ladder, polythene or old bed sheet to cover floor.
• Put the polythene on floor to avoid paint spillage
• Using the masking tape, make sure that all the timber edges, electrical sockets,switches,cornice,timber skirting, architraves and any other area where paint is not supposed to overlap each other is taped well. This is to give a clean fine job.
• Never paint on loosely bound old paint. Old flaky paint must always scrapped off.
• Make sure the surface to be painted are clean and dry; free from dust, rust, oils and greases.Dont paint on wet or damp surfaces.
• Never paint on mould growth. Such surface should be cleaned and mould scrapped away, then two coats of Sadolin fungicidal wash or Dura fungi wash should be applied prior to painting.
• For a new wall apply primer or first undercoat.
• Using scraper apply paint crack filler on visible minor cracks, or if possible buy gypsum filler and apply on the whole wall with this filler to give one white smooth surface. This is one sure way of getting an even and smooth surface. After applying the filler you sand it again to remove any loose or sharp materials.
• Apply the second coat and third of paint coat to give you a fine, even paint finish. You can choose to use a roller or brush.
• The last thing is to remove all the masking tape and clean the entire working space.
If you’re done painting for the day but still have more to do tomorrow,the painter should clean the paint brush/roller,and immerse them in water for the water based paint and for oil based paint the brush/roller should they be immersed in white spirit or thinner.The immersion will prevent the brush/roller sleeve from drying.